
When all of author Bill McKibben's global warming temperature rise-predictions in his book The End of Nature came true, he decided he needed to write a hopeful book because he was so damn depressed. So he wrote this awesome book called Hope, Human and Wild. That's how Matt and I were feeling. After Vegas made us feel like kids who had just witnessed the primal scene, we needed some quiet respite, so we headed to Canyon Country in Southwestern Utah, otherwise known as Zion National Park.
However, we didn't find that peace and quiet, mostly because we shared a campsite with these hicks from Las Vegas who arrived drunk and blasted that "Even when I'm with my boo, all I think about is you..." song until like 11:30 and woke us up in the middle of the night by yelling all kinds of loud stuff such as "How you gonna come in here at f***ing 2 am and grab my f***ing neck??". Their 5 year old son, "Trey", also tried to set out tent on fire. Repeatedly.
On an unrelated note, there was another burger showdown, this time the Carl's Jr. $6 Burger versus Fatburger. Fatburger still won, but here's me eating the CJ$6B:

What we did find at Zion was this silly hat for Matt, which he wore on our beautiful, yet abortive 7-mile hike up the West Rim of the canyon. What follows are pictures...

Full geez...

Strugglin'...

teeterin', totterin'...

Cacti...

Lizards...

Oh, and we passed through this really creepy area on the trail where a wildfire was literally still burning...


just some scenery, i guess...

Granitetown...

And finally Matt, enveloped by the stony, vermillion womb of the land...

Coming up, more CANYONS.
1 comment:
Hey Robbie, sweet blog.
Also, I'm pretty sure I did that exact hike, years ago... I vaguely recognize all of your photos. Or, maybe it's that all of southern Utah looks the same. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Post a Comment