Saturday, August 12, 2006

Canyons, Cliffs, & Corners



So Matt and I headed to the Grand Canyon just 'cause we thought we should, and man, is that one big hole! Note by my gesture the scale of the canyon. Grandiose.



This was the north rim of the canyon, which we were told was the less touristy side. It was cool, but we couldn't see the Colorado River, which was disappointing.



It was underwhelming, truth be told. Seemed like more of a honeymoon destination, with nice cabins and a nice lodge and stuff. Matty and I played dominoes in the lodge, which was extremely cozy...



Some more scenery:



After the Canyon, we drove past what I thought was some of the best scenery of the whole trip so far, the Vermillion Cliffs, which were a much deeper red than this picture indicates...



The cliffs swept down from a plateau. Plateau means "flat as a middle school cheerleader" in Portuguese, and Matty is demonstrating here...



Afterwards, we saw these creepy enormous skull rocks, under which hobos sometimes live. Well, not just hobos, but polygamists sometimes, too. You know how Northern Arizona is. And Southern Utah.



Road trip photo op...



And after that, we drove through Monument Valley, which is where Wile E. Coyote and John Wayne (he's not dead, just retired) live a happy life with an adopted daughter in a cute little walk-up furnished entirely in pink.



The coolest monument is by far the "Mexican Hat," seen here...



And from there, we checked out this sweet swap-meet type thing in the middle of the Navajo Reservation, which is where the Monument Valley is... I tried Navajo Frybread, which is basically just funnel cake, only not as good. I'm trying to convey how ethnic it tasted in this picture...



And to finish up the day, Matt stood on four different states at the same time. I forget which ones.

No comments: