
[i put my hand up on your hip...]
What a n00b I am, apparently. It wasn't until recently that I discovered the French Dip sandwich. It's hot, thinly-sliced roast beef with optional swiss cheese on a French baguette, with beef jus served on the side. Get that? You dip the sandwich in the jus, and it's delicious.
This handsome fellow is from Java Joe's, a pretty good lunch place in downtown Baltimore. The wikis tell me little of interest about this sandwich, except that two restaurants in L.A., Phillipe's The Original and Cole's Pacific Electric Buffet, have been arguing for almost 100 years about who lays claim to its provenance. In my limited experience, the jus is just absolutely perfect with the crunchy toasted crust of the roll. I can't imagine serving it "wet" -- as they did back in the day -- by dipping the whole sandwich before serving, could be much better. I'll try anything, though.
Anyone know of any particularly good French Dips out there?
1 comment:
Buffalo is famous for 2 foods: The Buffalo wing and the Beef on Weck. The latter is a roast beef sammich, served on a salted "weck" roll, often served with the jus on the side.
The French Dip is a mere appetizer in comparison.
Post a Comment