Thursday, February 26, 2009

Weekends @ Metro Gallery Feb. 25


[TGIF! LOLZ!]

I'm starting to think that most of the press on the Baltimore band Weekends is written by their very close friends. For example, a blog that I'm just discovering exists, BMore Musically Informed, had this to say about them:

Already garnering comparisons to Ponytail this Baltimore duo fills any rock and roll void one might possess with riffs of pure joy. No Age's Nouns was a similarly great record, but each and every jam on Weekends' s/t debut blows Nouns out of the water.
Really? Where have they garnered comparisons to Ponytail, pray tell? Among your friends? Because I haven't seen any, and the two bands sound absolutely nothing alike. Their sounds are as disparate as No Age and Ponytail. One is really loud, sludge-hammer noise-punk, and the other is really loud, but melodic surf-guitar riffs with a girl out front screeching nonsense. Don't get me wrong -- I like both bands, but the comparison is inapt.

Or take, por ejemplo, this incredibly undescriptive "No Cover" profile from City Paper last month, which includes the following quote from guitarist Adam Lempel:

"I saw Brendan playing [and] I was just like, 'I want to be in a band with that dude,'" Lempel says while doing a vigorous impersonation of Sullivan on guitar. "[He was] rocking out so hard. He was just into it in a good way."
This quote, to me, captures hipsterdom in its most perfect, putrid nutshell. It's like, being "into it" is ultimately BAD, and Lempel liked Sullivan's playing because he was INTO IT, but just like, not in a lame way. He's really venturing into uncharted territory here: a hipster band with musicians who are actually enthusiastic about music. Their approach, as reported, complete with self-described "rudimentary" drumming and a marked aversion to something called "blog rock," which we don't really hear defined in any way, offers no argument to me about why I should listen to this band. In fact, the only possible type of person I could see reading that review and thinking, "I really wanna check Weekends out," is the lowest, vilest type of poseur who jumps up every time they read the word "Copycat," puts on their pom-pom winter cap, wriggles into their skintight jeans, and heads out for a six-pack of Pabst (not Boh) before the show.

All that said, I went to go see Weekends last night because I've met Lempel at shows before, and he's a Hopkins grad, and he's always seemed like a really nice, genuine guy. I arrived right after Bad Liquor Pond finished up, and left right before True Womanhood took the stage. I'm sick, and I'm going on vacation next week. Gimme a break.

They did about 7 songs, almost all of which sounded like No Age covers. Sullivan's guitar work, I think, is a lot more interesting than Lempel's. He makes a lot of use of his Strat's low-end, so that bass tones don't get completely lost in the wall of fuzz these guys pump out. Lempel's approach has more to do with playing mathy melodies, one string at a time, with an octave pedal on, which is not very captivating. Likewise, Lempel's a better drummer. The few songs they played that deviated from the ear-blowing noise-punk model featured Lempel playing beats that were...I dunno...funky. I mean, the music honestly never approached danceable, unless you consider violent torso-bobbing dancing (funny side-note: I noticed a kid who was a few years under me at college in the audience who is an Orthodox Jew and also sort of a punk in his spare time, and he was dancing in just the aforementioned manner, and it looked like he was getting really into his davenning). The vocals were highly-reverbed and completely inaudible. The crowd was small and not terribly enthusiastic. If Weekends is going for the type of cultish, sweaty mosh masses that the usual bullshit MICA bands draw, they need a new business model.

And again, I find myself stepping back, because in reality, Weekends was alright. I mean, they're derivative, but they're sort of fun. They do rock out. They twitch and spasm and lurch around with their guitars, as if the instrument is some sort of wriggling snake that is very strong and hard to control. It's loud, and therefore subversive. They seem to be doing what they've rehearsed to do. I guess I'm just getting tired of all these bands that think that reworking the White Stripes model over and over again is the best outlets for their talents. Let's think it through a little more, and develop the concept, eh, guys?

5 comments:

Brett said...

I've never even met the dudes from weekends, so certainly would not be considered a friend of theirs. But I agree with the comparison to Ponytail in the sense that they are one of the most fun new local bands, and provide an awe-inspired feeling one can only get from a great rock band. Ponytail were the last band to make me feel this way, others have agreed.

A few of my friends made this comparison recently, and it was also made in an Aural States review of the album here:

http://auralstates.com/2009/01/album-review-weekends-weekends-unsigned.html

Robbie said...

Brett, I stand corrected. Comparisons have been garnered. But I still disagree with the Ponytail/Weekends comparison. At face value, the only thing these two bands have in common is their city of origin and their instrumentation. There may be a similar sense of optimism or positivity, but I honestly just don't get it.

That said, thanks for taking the opp to comment on my site. I think it's important for people who write about music and and art and stuff to communicate with one another. And sorry if my crit of your review seemed like a cheap shot. I really didn't know anybody read my WT shit.

-Robbie

Anonymous said...

i think i was fairly on point when i made the ponytail reference in my review. i think i qualified it enough that its application was fairly precise, and appropriate when taken in context of my review. and i was validated by the fact that when i talked with adam and brendan after they read the review, they noted that ponytail was big for both of them.

i think everyone needs to stop thinking of music as such an absolute quantity. it's pretty personal and everyone hears, and focuses on, different things. just like i don't really see much depth in your white stripes comparison.

from your writing, it would appear you are pretty quick into judgement. that really doesn't help your reviewing. personally, i prefer to concern myself more with the music and relating my own journey and experiences with it, and less with my assumptions and vivid imaginings of its fans and their philosophies. ultimately, that really doesn't have any impact on how much or little i enjoy someone's music.

on that quote from adam that seemed to fill you with such bile: it's funny, because i read the same article weeks ago and thought completely different things. i also thought his use of "into it in a good way" was vernacular/slang, with no literal meaning behind "in a good way" or implication of some sort of "lame" way to be into it. basically i read it as equivalent to saying "he was REALLY into it."

but hey, if weekends is not your thing, fine. where do you get off passing judgement about another person's fun time, definition of dancing, expression through art or whatever? i happen to enjoy my violent, freak-out torso-bobbing as much as swing dancing. catharsis is catharsis. i cry at movies where you don't. i get into music you dont.

i'd say your singling out of the jewish guy you knew as a "funny side-note" implicates you as a poseur of sorts. the underlying motivations behind that being an appeal to seem cool and superior by poking fun at someone. that doesn't suggest anything flattering about your mindset, or your motivations behind writing?

all of this is exactly why i started writing about music. to combat this idea that plagues music writing: to do it effectively, you've got to position yourself as the expert with the final, correct opinion while denigrating any dissenters.

my response:
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

similarly, there may be valid opinions that differ from yours, for reasons unimaginable to you.

i'd love to continue this conversation anywhere, anytime if you feel the urge or need. online, in person, on my site, wherever. it's pretty easy to find me.

peace.
--Greg Szeto
http://auralstates.com/

Anonymous said...

sorry that got ludicrously long and probably lost its point somewhere with tons of logical fallacies.

i was writing it in 1-2 minute spurts spread across hours. i'm usually more coherent.

Amy said...

I know Adam Lempel and he's a great guy. But I red that City Paper article and I could not stand the hipsteriness of the quotes and the writing.
I don't listen to the Weekends, although I have been to a show or two to support them (and somehow never saw them play) but that article about them really made me really NOT want to see them. (Although because I know Lempel is cool, I chose to ignore the feeling)

So I'm with you on the review not being so great, but I think it might be because we're 'not hipster enough' (which is already plenty hipster for me).