
This lovely dish is not, as you may have guessed, green eggs and anything. It is called hara bhara kebab, and what it is made of, I know not. I'm guessing peas. Maybe some spinach. It's really spicy. It's delicious. Janki and I ate it, with Dhruv in tow, on the roof of the Strand Hotel, at the cafe.

This man is making pani puri, which is a crispy hollow puff of wheat flour, filled with water and peas and lentils and stuff like that. I don't eat pani puri from just anybody (this guy is no exception) because it would give me the runs something terrible because it's made with local water, usually. Instead, I got me a couple of vada pav, which are like Whitecastle burgers, only with a potato chickpea patty covered in delicious green chutney inside the bun, instead of rancid horsemeat and rotten cheese. What I'm saying is, they're the same size as Whitecastle burgers.
They look like this. It was too dark for me to photograph my own vada pav.
Janki also has been raving about the Breach Candy Sandwich, as she calls it, for some time. You get it at this food stall called "Right Place" in the Breach Candy neighborhood of central Bombay. It's a toasted triple-decker vegetarian sandwich made with potatoes, capsicum (which means green peppers in Indian), onions, cheese, and a liberal slathering of grasshopper-green chutney. It looks like this...

And gets smeared with this...

And ends up looking like this...

But here I go again, stealing Janki's thunder again. Read more about the Breach Candy sandwich on Janki's food blog, which makes me hungry even after eating a whole sandwich 5 minutes ago.

In addition, if anyone is interested in seeing more pictures of markets and bazaars in Bombay, here's a whole blog devoted to them. Those of you who are thinking about clicking that link, ask yourself again, "Are you really interested in that?".
4 comments:
those breach candy grilled sandwiches are something - though you can get them almost anywhere - the guy behind National College makes some good ones.
You may be out-blogging me (one might even say "like whoh") but I bet* you didn't know that "strand" as in "the Strand Hotel" is the word for "beach" in Danish (I think in Dutch as well, but screw the Dutch). Danish Trading Company, mayhaps?
SIMILARLY,
"Strand" is the main thoroughfare of City. As in, the original City of London. BECAUSE the Vikings maintained that area (specifically, near what would become Temple Bar in Dickens' time) as a stronghold for a little while. Around there stands Sankt Klemens, the Danish Church.
AND it's on the beach. Of the Thames. (e
*I'd bet, but not that much, seeing as you've been to Denmark. So I'd bet you merely a pint of Carlsberg.
yeah, but isn't strand also an english word, like the same way "super" is a word in both english and danish?
Robbie - I'm not sure that I went ot the right spot in the blog, but congrats anyway on the Rickshaw ride. What's the next form of transportation that you will try to master? Love, Tia Martha y tio Alberto
Post a Comment