[front to back: wild mushroom fricassee, corn-meal battered oysters, fried green tomatoes]
"Such concoctions as panned and scalloped oysters have never been eaten in my time by connoisseurs, and oyster fritters (always called flitters in Baltimore) are to be had only at free-for-all oyster roasts and among the wharves."
- H.L. Mencken
Oysters were not too much esteemed in the
The mushroom fricassee ("just well-seasoned and well-cooked," KB pithily quipped upon tasting them) and the fried green tomatoes with a goat-cheese aioli -- our other two appetizers -- were excellent. Not the type of starters you can eat for a full meal, but substantial, tart, and food that wakes you up with riotous flavors.
We were drinking an Argentine Mendoza, because I thought it might go well with my next course (and because the only other cheap wine that looked was called a "Super-Tuscan," but was, inexplicably, from Umbria), this ribeye, which came with herbed compound butter (served on the side, when it should have been on top of the steak) and mini-Yukon Gold potato pancakes and hash browns and grilled beats, all in a thick jus.
This was a great steak, although it came out much redder than the medium-rare I ordered it, so I sent it back. But this thing I liked best about this entree was that it lined up a progression of flavors so complimentary, that I couldn't stop eating it -- I just had to have it, in that same order (steak-herb butter-salty potato-sweet beet-red wine) over and over again. I'm pretty sure I ate more than my share of half the plate before passing it on to KB and trading it for...
[mmmm....]
...head-on jumbo shrimp and grilled peaches served over some very cheesy (almost rissotto-like), very tasty grits. We were on the fence about this one -- KB wanted the seafood stew with fish and mussels, but I talked her out of it because I thought the side, olive crackers, sounded lackluster. And oh how right I was! This dish was brilliant, not only taste-wise, but conceptually. The shrimp-grits pairing gave it a very Southern, almost Cajun-style feel
to the dish. Enjoyed thoroughly.
Here are my grades, overall:
FOOD: A-
Fried green tomatoes are usually solid, and TWM was no exception. The mushrooms were nothing special -- just "well-seasoned, well-cooked," but delicious nonetheless. Oysters weren't mind-blowing, but damn good for the only place in town I know of to get flitters. Steak initially undercooked, but came back on the flipside. Shrimp and grits very creative, very good.
AMBIENCE: B-
We thought this place was going to be a big wine store with a cozy, charming little cafe tucked in the back. It was the opposite. A too-large dining room behind a surprisingly small wine shop. KB thought it was too loud and hard to have an intimate conversation, and the decor was bare-bones artsy-industrial, which I'm not that into because it feels too yuppy (it's why Tapas Teatro is more comfortable a restaurant than Pazo).
SERVICE: B
Both hostess and server were pretty stiff and awkward. Also, the waitress failed the "Which dish is better?" test by failing to steer us towards either of the seafood dishes we were conflicted about, claiming they were both equally good, and not helping at all on that one. I tested her again, asshole that I am, by asking her if the chef had put my whole dish, and not just the meat, back in the oven when I sent it back for more cookin', and she was not as obliging as I thought she'd be.
1 comment:
How expensive is this restaurant?
Post a Comment