Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Cherryblossom Gals and Fluttering Kites


[jeffersonian.]


This past weekend was the optimal weekend to see the cherry blossoms that line the tidal basin in Washington, D.C.

It was, like, prime time to see them.

So lets call it Optimus Prime Weekend.



[blossomin']

It also happened that it was the 42nd annual Smithsonian Kite Festival and there were mad South Asians letting out string, staring at the sky, and generally having a South Asian good time.



[the answer is in the sky]

There were thousands of people swarming the Mall, but I must admit, the kites were not as spectacular as I expected. It did kind of remind me, though, of when we went to Jaipur, the pink city in Rajastan, where all the kids were flying kites from rooftops downtown. Except that wasn't a festival. That was all the time.




[kite sugarhigh]


A few of the kites were good, though.



[mask-kite]




[patriot kites]


And this old codger, who was engrossed, completely, in the Washington Post, while all the kiteness went on behind him.



[grimble grumble gramble]


From the kite thing, we headed over to the flowers, which were way too crowded, but definitely prettier than I remember last year.



[KB smirking]


There were even some very very glamorous people, with fancy cell phones and curled lips...



[ehhh....]


These young ladies, who were dressed like yellow bunnies, I guess? I don't know what they were up to. They passed by while KB and I were having some oat bread and havarti on a blanket by the water. Every dog that passed by wanted to try some of our bread.



[squeak, squeak, squeak...]


And a radiant Amy V-T



[blossom-eyed]


And the crew...



[in front of the ww2 memorial]

No comments: