Monday, April 30, 2007

First Impressions of Europe

I arrived in Frankfurt from Madras, on my way home from India, after a long debacle that involved me losing my ticket (I left it in my apartment in Bombay), paying several hundred million dollars, purchasing some rugs from a newly-befriended family of Kashmiris in Madras, and falling asleep in the 104-degree Mahabalipuram sun (yeah, I used an internet Celsius-Fahrenheit converter) and waking up the color of raw London broil.

I keep telling people that no, I'm not culture shocked to be in America, because I spent two weeks in Europe first, and going from India to Europe to America is like going from 0 to 100 to 50. I remember on the ICE train from Frankfurst to Amsterdam, I looked out my window and saw a river, and that river actually had clear water in it. Then I looked a little longer, and noticed that the water had a swan swimming in it! And the swan was alive! It was unbelievable. I knew I was not in India.

In any case, here are the first three things I saw in Germany:



donuts.



sausages.



incredibly fast trains.

1 comment:

n said...

hey! We do have live swans. And flamingoes. Went on a 5am trip to spot some today, just 10 minutes from home