Sunday, October 15, 2006

The Rest of Madras



Just thought I'd post a few images of people who I've met and seen in Madras. The above picture, though blurry, is the result of the many times when, walking down the street, I get stopped because I am white and in a very friendly way, people like to say hello. Sometimes people just smile or laugh and want to shake my hand. It's like congratulations for the way I stand out.

Here's some more little kids, with a view of the Chennai central train station:



Here are some boy scouts, urging friendly driving (sign says, "No Hurry! No Worry!")



Here are he people I work with at Jeeva Jyothi. Well actually, Prasanth, the guy who is holding his nose, is the only one I work with directly, because the other two don't speak very good English (I can't remember their names). They're mostly just goofballs... They laugh a lot and I see them almost exclusively on coffee breaks...



This is my current breakfast diet, puri masala or puri bazzhi, which is a sort of pita bread with stewed potatoes, peas, and carrots, topped with coconut chutney...



The close-up:



And here is Dhruv, demonstrating how to cool one's cup of filter coffee, which supposedly is famous in South India, but actually isn't all that good. Or maybe I'm just spoiled by La Prima espresso on Saturday mornings in the Strip District. Either way, here goes:



ta-daaa!

No comments: