Monday, January 02, 2006

Paris Part 2 - The Food We Ate



I've come to realize that a good deal of my memories are about things that I ate in certain places. Even here in Pittsburgh, where I find myself now, I show new people around based on the locations of my favorite restaurants. My sister said it's because people's 'sensory memories' are the strongest, but that sounded like med school mumbojumbo to me.

In any case, here's a post about the things Kat and I ate in Paris, most of which were delicious.

The above picture is from a little cafe in the university district, the Rive Gauche, where our table water came in an empty jack daniels fifth and our wine in an honest-to-goodness carafe. We had the below risotto and duck confit for lunch...



I also got, before arriving in Paris, several emphatic recommendations for this place, L'As Du Fallafel. Lenny Kravitz trumpets it as the best falafel in the world (in a New York Times article taped to the front window), and it's located in Le Marais, the Jewish/Gay quarter down by the Hotel De Ville.



Appropriately filthy kitchen...



Appropriately fleet-handed falafel-slingers...



I took down two falafels for dinner that night. It was amazing...



Indeed the best falafel in the world...



With a nutella-banana crepe for dessert, cooked on a hotplate at a little crepe stand in Le Marais...



And then, because we couldn't afford to eat at La Closerie de Lilas, we ate another (relatively) fancy lunch across the street at another, anonymous cafe...



Escargot and toast...



French onion soup, in France!



And later that night, took a trip over to my friend Francesca's apartment, where I used my newfound Spanish culinary skills to cook a Spanish tortilla de patata, a feat that I have since tried and failed about 4 times. Apparently it requires a non-stick pan...



And finally, after our last-night stroll on the Isl Saint-Louis, we went for some more coppery-tasting marennes (see the "Bordeaux" entry) at the Cafe Saint-Louis...



Accompanied by a bottle of Puilly, we made short work of them...



That's all for now. Perhaps some Pittsburgh pictures will be uploaded before I go, perhaps not.

Thanks to all who have been reading the blog, and I will alert you when Whelan has more Travels to write and photograph.

Cheers!
Robbie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do San Fran

Anonymous said...

Do San Fran